How To Help Empaths
The #1 question I get asked is how do you help empaths?
In this video, I share some ways that you can help yourself or someone you care about manage being an empath.
Don’t confuse empathy with sympathy!
According to the Oxford Dictionary sympathy means “Feelings of pity and sorrow for someone else’s misfortune”.
Below is my understanding of the difference between empathy and sympathy.
When you empathise you feel what others are experiencing to the point of understanding their emotions in relation to their circumstance, but you don’t go down the rabbit hole of drama with them.
When you sympathise, not only do you understand the emotions, you personally experience it as you jump into the whirlpool with them and your energy spirals out of control like theirs. This doesn’t help you or them in a constructive way.
When you understand this distinction and focus on empathy rather than sympathy, the negative feelings associated with sympathy don’t happen.
I personally struggled with this distinction for decades. Being sympathetic rather than empathetic most likely contributed to the many illnesses I created in my 30s and 40s.
Thankfully I understand this distinction better now. This understanding came about through one of my mentors, Andrew Grant, explaining it and then me consistently working at integrating the distinction into my unconscious competence.
Now that you have wisdom about this distinction, I encourage you to consciously work on integrating empathy into your day-to-day life and leave sympathy alone.
It is also important to understand the impact of having too much empathy, or being a natural empath.
If you can’t turn your empathy switch off you will continue to feel the thoughts, emotions and physical symptoms of all and sundry. I have met people who describe this as the “empathy curse”, rather than the great gift it can be.
How to handle too much empathy
There are many well-known ways of protecting your energy and handling your empath gift such as:
- A Prayer of protection – “In the name of Jesus Christ I call upon the Spirits of Light to stand guard at the doorway of my soul and to guide me in the ways of truth, love and light and protect me from the forces of darkness and deception. Amen” – This prayer was taught to me by Marilyn O’Sullivan in 1987
- White light yourself – imagine you are surrounded by white light
- Put yourself inside a protective box or cylinder – this technique is on page 25 of my book AreekeerA® Vibration: Healing Yourself From Within
- Aromatherapy – burning essential oils to cleanse the room and protect your energy; wear the oils on your body
- Aura Soma – is a form of colour healing therapy which works on the aura
- Singing bowl – use a singing bowl to transform the energy in your workplace, home and around you
- And many other techniques
All of the above techniques are great, but if your empath gift is driving you nuts and you just want to be “normal”, the following solution may work for you.
How to turn your Empath Gift On and Off
Over recent years, I’ve been hearing more and more people describe their empath ability as a curse. They want to know how to turn it off.
We are like radio receivers as well as radio transmitters and it’s the receiving element that sometimes needs to be tuned out. Below is a process I used with a client that is designed to help turn off your empath switch.
The exercise below is recorded in the video above if you want to be guided by my voice.
Exercise: Empath Radio Dial
- Take the time to meditate and visualise the dial of an old radio. If you are an empath it is likely your dial will be continually roaming and tuning into the closest frequency, giving you no rest and respite from the thoughts and feelings of others.
- Turn the dial to static and lock it in. You can turn it down eg., from 10 to 1, or turn it hard to the left or right and lock it in by pushing the dial into the radio or pulling it out till it clicks. When you want to be empathic release the dial back to free movement and allow it to scan frequencies again.
- I’ve shared the concept here, now you can transform the concept into your version of the “Radio Dial”. The more creative you are the more profound the impact will be on all your bodies.
If you have any questions fill out the form below and I’ll answer them as soon as possible. I hope this helps you manage your empath gene.
Julie Lewin – a world renowned Medical Intuitive started her journey in the art of intuition in 1984. She appeared in four episodes of the TV show “The Extraordinary” which was syndicated to 22 countries. She’s a published author, two x Amazon #1 Bestseller and has a Bachelor in Metaphysical Science. Julie won the Our Internet Secrets Business Builder Award 2013, has founded a charity, and runs transformational 1:1 retreats. Get a free chapter of her book here.
Thank you Julie,
Great information thank you love you books both hard copy and talking, cards and enjoy listening to you. I will contact you this week if convenient I am off for a few days Tuesday-Thursday kind Regards Julie Roberts
Thanks so much Julie for your support … I will email you 🙂